« Home | Attacks plays TSOY » | Going for the Throat and the Social Contract » | In This RPG... » | Will Wright Talks about Gaming, Art, and the Scien... » | Verge: Reprogrammed » | Creative Agenda: Ron and Levi hash it out » | A Summer on the Long Tail » | Agon » | How to make a Narrative Electronic Game » | You can be Anything I've Already Decided you can be »

Now Playing: Burning Empires

We had our first play session of our Burning Empires game last week. Preparation and play involved a lot more rules futzing than I'd like, but I'm hoping this is a temporary phase as we get into the game. BE does so much that's new and different that I'm finding it a little hard to adjust my mindset. Nevertheless I am hugely enthusiastic about BE, and I'm hoping it lives up to my expectations. It delivers a bunch of things I've been wanting to see in a game for a long time.

I made a post a while back about campaign stakes. BE delivers the everything I was looking for in this post. The World Burner and Technology Burner deliver campaign furniture, campaign stakes are an intrinsic part of the game, and the Infection mechanic is a campaign mechanic if there ever was one.

I'm hoping that BE's commitment to campaign stakes will lead to the kind of epic sci-fi I've long been craving.

One thing I've already noticed about BE and me is that I tend to drastically overthink the game, only to realize that what I'm obsessing about is 90% covered in the existing rules. Almost anything you want to include in the game can be accomplished using building scenes or the technology burner.

Labels: