« Home | Now we need an RPG Summary Site » | Friday Playtest Forum #1 » | Brass Goggles: Steampunk blog » | Paleo-Future: Y2K Postcards (ca. 1900) » | You've got Wiki » | Game Design Gossip » | Castles of Tuscany » | Agon: Shadowrun Conversion » | Creating Better Characters » | The Alternate History One-Shot Contest »

How Game Design is like Haiku

I realized last night that game design is like Haiku. So this is one of those statements of the obvious, but constraint makes you more creative.

I am currently working on a cannonball run style driving game. I decided to use cards for one of the fortune mechanics. As such I needed 4 categories. My original 4 categories were:
Drive, Navigation, Mechanical, and Face (as in ATeam). But those were confusing.

So then I decided I need 4 categories that would match their respective suit. This is when my creativity kicked in and all of a sudden the entire game seemed to fall into place:

Drive - Diamonds / Speed - Spades / Carousing - Clubs / Hijinks - Hearts

Man I love this stuff.